Friday, January 25, 2013

My Class to Haim's "Forever"

After nearly a whole month of teaching at Movement Lifestyle I finally found the courage to record some of my material (I did my homework Suk!). While it lacks the fancy lighting and the professionalism of those well thought out concept videos that are all the hype these days, I'm proud to post my first video of the year:


Yesterday's class, albeit small in size, was full of familiar faces and talented dancers. It was amazing to see how they interpreted what I was saying and teaching.

I was astounded to have my new healthy-treats-baking-pal, Channing Cooke, in class yesterday. She's an accomplished dancer who's been on the stage with the likes of Travis Wall's "Shaping Sounds", Florence and the Machines, and even Jennifer Lopez.

Our duet in the above video is competition-ready if I do say so myself.

2 comments :

  1. Hi Karen! Sukie "liked" this post on Facebook, which led me here. I've been in LA in the dance community for a few years now, and seen your name pop up here and there but never had the chance to meet you. This is the first time seeing you dance and I'm in awe. You're really great! And I love this choreo.

    Even though I'm a total stranger to you, I felt compelled to let you know that, after reading through a couple of your blog posts, I have great admiration for you. I'm a graphic designer, and have struggled with balancing dance and a professional career the whole time I've lived in LA. I have no idea how you managed to be a working professional while still attending classes, auditioning, and teaching; if only I'd met you before deciding to leave the industry! Perhaps you could have offered me some sound advice. Or, maybe, I can still learn from you.

    Anyways, you share some really great thoughts on this blog. I always enjoy reading about dancers' journeys and gaining insight into how each dancer's personal story unfolds, especially when they're well-written and carefully considered. Congratulations on your successes, and the aplomb with which you handle it all. Thanks for taking the time to share on your blog!

    Best,
    Shu Pei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shu Pei,

      Thank you so much for your support. If you have the chance to, definitely keep dancing!

      Best of luck on everything you do!

      -Karen

      Delete