Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Instagram: Helping Me Practice My PR and Marketing Skills

Social media is increasingly becoming the most important medium with which information is spread. Whether one likes it or not, news travels fast on Twitter and Facebook.

And while my following on TwitterInstagram, Youtube, or Facebook is abysmal relative to other popular choreographers and dancers, I nonetheless count on those sites as a means to promote myself and events that I am a part of.

I always tweet or post about my classes, but it wasn't until recently that I began utilizing Instagram. Using the "Overgram" app, I customize my pictures to include relevant information regarding my classes. Thus, I have created quite a library of class ads:

I will be this ^ happy if you came and danced with me today. Teaching a new combo to The xx at@whatmovesu ! 
Subbing tomorrow at 2:30PM@edgepac for the wonderful @marissaosato ! Come share your beautiful energy with me :)
Come learn how to build a bed with me tomorrow in class at @edgepac at 2:30! Tools not included. Just kidding, come dance with me. Something new to shake off the Monday blues! 
Baby Karen and Pluto are requesting your presence in class tomorrow afternoon at 2:30PM. Subbing for@marissaosato at @edgepac! Be there, or I'll throw a temper tantrum. << Oops. Definitely meant to read 7/9!
I love dancing with friends. Check out my latest class combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7lVy9sQITY&feature=share&list=UUlmoagej1BOQwQEQKh87kZw
Toddler Karen says, "Join ME in class tomorrow please. I might just wear these awesome floral pants."
Little Dragons make beautiful noises. Don't believe me? Come find out in class tomorrow at @edge_pac ! We'll be dancing to one very special Little Dragon in particular. (Art by: @jekajane )
Don't you hate it when you miss things? Then be sure to catch my class tomorrow. Subbing for@marissaosato at 2:30!
If you have trouble seeing (into the future), let me be of service: I see sunny skies, high temperatures, and me teaching at #edgepac tomorrow. I think I have the gift of fortunetelling.
Swagged out since 1997. It's hard to be this cool, but I can teach you how in class tomorrow at #edgepac. Bring your facials.
Why the pictures of myself as a kid? Let's be honest. They're too good not to share to the general public, and who wants to wait until Thursday for a #tbt?

What's fascinating to me is that recently, my most popular pictures aren't the ones pertaining to my every day life. They're the ones of me when I was 7 years old looking like a goober.

I hope that's not an inadvertent way for people to tell me I was cuter back then than I am now. 

No comments :

Post a Comment